Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Trip to The Dentist..In Mexico [Insert Horror Music Here]

Okay, so it wasn't that bad. Really...


I have a wisdom tooth that took the place of a molar i had lost. So it was my first wisdom tooth. Well now my bottom row of teeth were too full for another, so the second wisdom tooth (for my left side) had no where to go and decided to cause a lot of imflamation and pain. I was tempted to leave it alone to avoid..the dentist..and after 3 days of it bothering me, my husband forced me to go. Darn that caring husband...


So today we headed down to Pitillal to go to a dentist, who is the boyfriend of my sister-in-law. The things you get by knowing people. He checked my teeth out and said i needed an x-ray of the tooth, but that he doesn't do them in his office. So he directed us where to go. After ariving the woman at the desk tell us that this dentist was at home. So she called her and we were told she would be there in 25 minutes. We decided to go ahead and spend that 25 minutes at Martin's families house. We then headed back to the dentist #2 and she started to take x-rays of my mouth. But her machine wasn't working properly. She did nnot charge us, even though she came from home to assist us. She then told us another dentist to go to. We followed her directions and realized that it lead us to dentist #1.. Dentist #1 laughed about this and told us of another dentist around the corner. At dentist #3's office we were able to get the x-ray. We then procceded to go back to dentist #1. He took us to his torture chamber and told us that the wisdom tooth was coming up straight but there was no room. He then asked me something i was not prepared for.. "do you want me to take it out now?".. Are you serious?! I am totally unprepared for this! (was my thought)...But sadly what came out was a measly, "sure". He began working on my mouth and honestly it wasn't bad. At all. I was so grateful. But thenn come to find out, the tooth was really close to the jaw bone. So when it was finally time to pull it out, i swear i thought he wanted my whole jaw to come out with it! Finally it was over. And i gotta say, that sucker was huge! Lol

(These numbers are based on people without insurance)

Minutes spent in a waiting room (US): 15+
Minutes spent in a waiting room (Mexico): 0*
Cost of x-ray (US, i'm guessing): $200+
Cost of x-ray (Mexico): $15
Cost of wisdom tooth removal (US): $500+ (per tooth & totally guessing)
Cost of wisdom tooth removal (Mexico): $50

Amount of pain i was in either way: ... priceless


*Seriously, every place i wen't to today, x-rays and dentist, i did 0 minutes of waiting. I don't count waiting for dentist #2 because we left and came back..you can't do that in the US.


This story was not to scare anyone. Please do not make any reference to my use of horror terms, this is simply how i have always veiwed dentists as a child. And sadly i still do. My experience did go better thenn previous ones in the US.

7 comments:

  1. And were you able to save the tooth or did it break? You could've left it under your pillow for the tooth fairy or "el ratoncito." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latosha, Im lisa, also and expat (From one Country to Another) I recently found your blog. I got my wisdom teeth pulled not to long ago also, I have to agree it was not as bad as I thought it would be. But just thinking about going through with it, is definetly scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jackie
    I totally should have, it actually looked really cool. But i'm afraid at the time i didn't even want to look at it. lol It just reminded me of what i went through

    @Lisa n Javi
    I'm glad you found me, and I completely agree. NIt's not somethinng im looking forward to, ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alternative Dental bonding has long been thought of as a less expensive alternative to porcelain veneers. Also called cosmetic bonding, dental bonding offers many of the same smile correction benefits as veneers.
    cancun dental

    ReplyDelete

  5. Dentists in Cancun bring you the best dental care in Mexico.We are here to serve
    you with high quality dental solution for all your needs,ranging from simple
    toothache to implants or full mouth rehabilitation,we can help you at a fraction
    of the US price.

    Dentist in Puerto Vallarta
    dentist Puerto Vallarta
    Puerto Vallarta dentist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Dentist in Puerto Vallarta provide superior quality dental care at affordable prices. Our highly trained bilingual Cancun dentist have extensive experience

    ReplyDelete
  7. "My mexico Dentist Guide offers you highly-trained board certified dentists for
    your safety and assurance in knowing that your dentist in mexico is the one you
    need for your important dental treatments and has is fully trained and certified
    for root canals,crowns,cosmetic dental makeovers,dental implants and other advanced
    dental procedures."


    dentist Puerto Vallarta

    ReplyDelete